Friday 21 January 2011

Evaluation - Question One

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
My teaser trailer was in the genre of teen drama. Other films in this genre include; Thirteen, 4.3.2.1 and Shank. The latter also includes comedic moments, which according to my audience research was the preferred genre of my audience. I tried to incorporate comedy into my trailer by showing the characters having fun.


A convention of a teen drama is obviously that it has to revolve around teen characters, so i used two teenage girls as my main characters;














This is also done in Thirteen and 4.3.2.1.;




















From my audience research, i could see that most of my audience are 17 or 18. Because of this i decided to make the main characters in Sixth Form, which would mean they would be around the target age.

This subverts the conventions of a teen drama as most of them are set in schools, and the characters are generally younger than 17/18.

An issue that is often adressed in teen drama is drinking. I have used this stereotype in my film;















I also had to conform to the conventions of a teaser trailer.

I did this by using title slates, as we can see from my product research, this is also done in 4.3.2.1.


Shank use title slates to hint at the narrative of the film to give the audience some prior knowledge about the film, just as I did.


This is similar to my own teaser trailer:


I also used a vague release date at the end of my teaser trailer and a change in pace of music as the conflict and drama build within the trailer.
I conformed to the genre of teen drama by having clear teenage stereotypes (e.g, Kia being 'the rebel' and Cara being 'the innocent one').

As for my magazine, i conformed to the conventions associated with film magazines as this makes it easy to recognise to the audience, and also not many magazines break the conventions of a front cover, otherwise it would confuse the audience.




















On the right is my magazine, and on the left is the front of a well-known film magazine Total Film. As we can see, there are some similarities between the two. Firstly, i have used a Masthead, and a subheading. Where Total Films subheading reads "The Ultimate Movie Magazine", mine reads "The Alternative Movie Guide". I also used many explanation marks to create a sense of enthusiasm, again we can see this is done on Total Films cover. I used hyperboles such as "much more" and "exclusive". This is done on most magazine covers, as it makes the audience feel as though they are reading special and rare information.
However, unlike other movie magazines, my magazine has an article about music on the front. I did this because accoring to my audience research, the type of magazine my audience are most likely to read.


Finally, in my Film Poster i also mostly conformed to the conventions.












Like the Kidulthood poster, i have used the characters dress code and surrounding to hint at the narrative of my film. The girls in my poster are wearing tops that could be seen as uniform, but they are wearing tutu's, suggesting that they are breaking the norm. In the Kidulthood poster, you can see an estate in the background, which hints towards the characters economic background and where the film will be set. It also hints that the film could revolve around gang culture, as estates are often associated with the formation of gangs in the media. In my poster, the main characters are behind a fence, hinting that the feel trapped, and the fact that they are leaning on the fence suggests that they will rebel against this. It is typical to hint at the narrative within a film poster, and as we can see, i have hinted at the narrative in various ways.





No comments:

Post a Comment